Was there a point after which the people accepted you?

Continuing with the lovely time at Rishi Valley:

Would I want to chat with students in the Sociology class? Well I would - but what do I chat on? This was how the conversation on the topic started. Suggestions from teachers then made things easier for me: How about talking on meetings (and interactions) when you initially went to the villages in Mizoram? Also what you observed in and learnt from the villages during initial days– especially in context of your work?

As I started jotting notes I was clear that I would talk of initial days in Baghmara (South Garo Hills, Meghalaya) and put to use neither images nor power-point. Images in this post are those scanned from the album of monsoon 2004. These I dug out only last evening and I have put in the image names I then used. As I write I recall Rama Bijapurkar in Telegraph writing that power-points hardly had power and seldom conveyed the point!

In the space below I share some of these notes and questions that followed:

Office beckons
Notes

When I arrived in May 2004 the initial surveys had been undertaken and we had gone with 2 bags each to initiate our field base (office and home). Lovely house along the Rompha river where we swam and washed clothes after office.

We selected villages but had to take permission from Nokma (village headman) before we began our intervention. Nokma is the head of the clan that owns the village (Aking).

It took a while to figure out how best to meet people. Unlike what little experience we had people here preferred to meet around 6 in the morning. Also tea-stalls were places where people socialized as also pick-up and drop points for public-transport; this had us invest a lot of time at these stalls often gulping 8 – 10 sweet cups a day.

A forest department officer had said people come, do research and then go away (earn fame and money) without even sharing a report which is why even the line-departments are weary of sharing information. People initially took time to open up but as we stayed in the villages, moving and eating with them they opened up. We also made it a time (in the coming months and years) to regularly share our reports (in Garo) with them!

My office

Questions

How many of you began the office?

How do you know who the Nokma is?

How did you talk to the people?

Was there a point after which the people accepted you?

What did you tell people in the beginning?

Did you tell them that you will work on elephant conservation?

Do people know they live with one of the few populations of elephants which is this large?

Why is the society ‘matrilineal’ if power lies with men?

Why does the property pass on to the youngest and not the eldest daughter?

Have you collected folk stories from the area?

Was there a point after which the people accepted you?

I am not very sure if there was a particular point but we surely experienced warmth beyond out expectations


On way to work 

Many thanks to Rishi Valley, Radha, Santharam, Kaustubh and Sonali for the wonderful time and for taking me to those invigorating days ~ 

Comments