Removed from habitat!

We used to have discussion on this term; removal from habitat would have within its ambit species hunted, trapped as also those kept as pets!

"First slide of the PPT has to be attention-grabbing"
 I begin this post recalling the above piece of advise from a close friend
(though not quite on lines of hunting / pets):


This was on way to Phura (near Palak Dil). Just as we had begun to feel pleased that the 8 – 10 hour pick-up ride (during which we used to stand, sit or lie on rice-filled sacks) was coming to an end I came across this. I initially thought I was imagining on account of an extra-bumpy ride and then somehow banged the pick-up (sign for the driver to halt!). Its size made the otherwise questioning me go into a stunned silence.


This was on way to Tlangkawn (road towards KVK). As I took rest, near a turn, I saw a young boy with a bag and gun that belied his size. I shared water and showed him the binoculars and camera, I then carried, and he in turn emptied his bag! He, in lieu of his father, was acting as the post-runner. He used to bring post from his village and carry that received for his villagers from the Saiha Post Office!


Some parts of our country have a practice of wild species being offered as gifts to people in positions of authority. Mizoram – well – is amongst these parts. These images are taken from the SPs residence at Saiha! As I punch keys I recall the beginning line of a speech by a senior government officer at Nagaland recently.  On receiving an Assamese Gamcha he remarked ‘How happy I am to receive such eco-friendly gifts'!

Imported birds from Burma I was told. This was very near to the New Saiha market and at a residence of a Forest Department personnel!

I was once told that leopard cats are rare; but a survey at South Garo Hills proved otherwise as did the conversation with the driver who ran-over this fellow!
               

Confiscated by the Forest Department after our reporting 
and then we were told (of all things!) that they did not have funds to get fish for it!

This was on way to Chakang and a surprise


Weasel and shrew; by-catches in a trap on a rainy evening. 
Species that smell too much are not consumed at many places and discarded!

This looked so scared! We had a program at a school nearby and recall going with the young ones there and chatting on why we should not have wild species in our homes!

Post on road kills here and that covering a pet hornbill here

Comments