A book like no other

The Rivered Earth
Vikram Seth

Hamish Hamilton
an imprint of
PENGUIN BOOKS
2011


Poem reading by Vikram Seth

A book which, to me, brings out the essence of 'passion' and 'talent' ~


Two poems I loved - more - from ‘Songs in Time of War’

Thoughts while travelling at Night

Light breeze on the fine grass.
I stand alone at the mast.
Stars lean on the vast wild plain.
Moon bobs in the Great River’s spate.
Letters have brought no fame.
Office? Too old to obtain.
Drifting, what am I like?
A gull between earth and sky.

Spring in the Time of War

The state lies ruined; hills and streams survive.
Spring in the city; grass and leaves now thrive.
Moved by the times the flowers shed their dew.
The birds seem startled; the hate parting too.
The steady beacon fires are three months old.
A word from home is worth a ton of gold.
I scratch my white hair, which has grown so thin
It soon won’t let me stick my hatpin in. 

Comments