Oh Calcutta

Grand Delusions
A Short biography of Kolkata

Indrajit Hazra
Aleph Book Company
2013

Me
The first 6 years of my life in Calcutta have ensured that I remain positively biased for the rest to follow. To this day I am a Flury’s fan; such that the Flury’s counter in Hyderabad is one reason that encourages me to brave the evening traffic.
Some lines we read stay with us; for some reason or for no reason. This I read a long ago, don’t remember where but has stayed on since –‘During the late 1960’s and early 1970’s in Calcutta we had nothing to do and the whole day to do it in’.
Coming to this book - After a longish while read a book where I was keen to absorb all that the page I was then on had to offer and simultaneously was also anxious to read the next page. I wanted to go quick but ensure that I miss nothing as well.
Cover
Book reviews




Five interesting and random lines from the book. 
Howrah bridge has been the shape of future since its construction began in 1936.
For a city that doesn’t really know how to be quietly proud of anything, even as it criticized other towns for being flashy, the cheap and easy access to sweets for every local in Kolkata, the roadside beggar included, is truly remarkable.
I am not familiar with the nineteenth-century Paris of Baudelaire. But each time on Park Street, and once inside it, I do enter and immense reservoir of electrical energy and know that I am at the center of the world.
But to deny the undisputed rule of filth and astounding tardiness in Kolkata is to be in denial about what’s unpleasant but real.
You can do no wrong if you’re asleep. And North (Kolkata) is still sleeping. While makes me reckon that my side of town could well be the city that outlives Kolkata.
Pieces

SEMINAR (March 2006 issue)



Comments