Tokalo: Day Thirteen

We walk over to the neighbouring country to re-stock provisions and also to stay over for a night.

The tea is warm and waiting. I decline the aluminium mug, take the bamboo alternative and tea vanishes inside me pretty fast. I put in my goods, lying around, in my bags. I have finally learnt to be patient with these and not rush. I also realize that since the treks in the western Himalayas this is the first time I haven’t changed clothes for a dozen days.

Straps of couple of our bags have not been able to withstand the journey. 2 colleagues, within half an hour create replacements, with bamboo. Bamboo baskets to carry the bags; with bamboo straps. For more than the next half an hour I am left wondering on their skills with the equipment they had – dao; the deftness of their hands. What could I manage with mine other than push pencil over paper!
This will carry our bags 
Ja is hardly noting down anything in his diary. In this scenario I have neither energies nor inclinations to pester him beyond what I have already done. Jo, on the other hand, is less stiff now and appears to be enjoying and applying himself to the task on hand.

We have fish again today and I wonder on how much fish I have consumed during the adventure. I would have had as much put together during the past decade. Our hygiene standards leave a lot to desire. I need to voice my thoughts on this. I also realize that changing of habits is a lengthy process and one with a bad success rate. The survey will teach me to adapt better.

As I walk in these forests I realize I still love walking alone. Mind is free to wander. Not driven by conversations of and with people. Also, much as I love being amidst the plants and trees I am also glad that I do not know too much of their leaves, trunks, flowers, and as corollary do not bother to identify or analyse them. I enjoy being near them, feeling them, smelling them and touching them. 
This is for catching fish 
Janisse Ray writes of this in Forest Beloved, ‘Something happens to you in an old-growth forest. At first you are curious to see the tremendous girth and height of the trees, and you sally forth, eater. You start to saunter, then amble, slower and slower, first like a fox and then an armadillo and then a tortoise, until you are trudging at the pace of an earthworm, and then even slower, the pace of a sassafras leaf’s turning. The blood begins to languish in your veins, until you think it has turned to sap. You hanker to touch the trees and embrace them and lean your face against their bark, and you do. You smell them’.

The landscape changes, the dense bamboo of the rain-forest gives way to a landscape that reminds me of Manas National Park. I move alone and am not afraid of moving quick without help from trees and their hanging parts. Taking the locations today is a quick act as both the satellites and sun shy away from shying!

We come across few houses amidst this scenery where people are cultivating rice, vegetables, mustard, bananas and undertaking poultry. This by all counts is the most scenic cultivation field I have seen. NT is surprised and says the Wildlife Sanctuary has been notified on table and his colleagues have never been to these parts. Parts where families from Burma cultivate without any permission or care. We have a good laugh over this - not that we had other options.
The other view 
One of these families’ hut was empty and we went in to discover a veritable treasure of traps. Net-traps, rope-traps, bamboo-traps – the expert had them all. I was stunned! Here was in action what Parry had documented during 1920’s and the museum at Aizawl had put up sketches of. I took with care the images of these dearly hoping that they made sense enough when I saw them on the computer. Another hut we entered had a tortoise caprice besides the grains stored. I sit near the huts as the colleagues take rest and realized that the scenery has striking resemblance to the English countryside described, of a hundred years ago, by authors whom I share my room in Saiha with.

Traps continue to appear as we move. The ones we tried out amazed us with their precision. I took images before destroying them. I knew people would put another in place soon but I may have saved a couple of, if not more, barking deer at least. However as I destroyed them I also felt a tinge of sadness at bringing harm to a piece of art, an art that was in any case fast vanishing with the changing world and in words of a friend causes significantly less damage than the development projects.

We come across fishing nets. Bamboo fishing paraphernalia would perhaps be more apt term. These we looked at with awe and moved on.
A lone hut amidst the forests and fields 
We walk down the Rala river to Border Pillar 15 and stay put near having walked from 9.30 to 3.30. We put up at Ralie, a village in Burma since there is none on our side. We have informed the Village Council President of our visit in advance and hope he has informed the Burmese army. Since we began this adventure, logic, if it exists, has been eluding me. But, by now, rather than worrying, I have begun to enjoy.

At the village we go first to a resting shade built for visitors adjacent to a playground and have tea. I then go for a walk in the village, see not a single tin roofed house, but come across more than a few arecanut and coconut trees. I go to a shop that is difficult to locate and buy 250gms jaggery for 50/- Indian rupees. The shop-keeper returns the change! I then go for a bath, body aching from walking over stones and itching from walking under bamboo – cane. I remember colleagues, couple of days earlier, distinguishing between a full bath and tribal bath and opt for the first option. I am accompanied by a duck, 2 cows and of course the younger folk of the village. Bathing places are still melting and courting places as Lorrain had stated!

Colleagues prepare a delicious meal - vegetables mixed with chicken. I was touched by the manner in which they invited me for food. Others are away drinking and as a proof create an undesirable scene on their return.
This too was meant for fishing
We then move to the house nearby to sleep. The house has a verandah but no door to close the entry to verandah; I will have cold night. The rooms other than the one I lie in are in dark and I have no idea of the family members or rest of the house as I sit down to write at the only table in sight. The host family has lent us mattresses and pillows. These could be extra or even at cost of bringing hardship to themselves – I will never know. Innumerable such instances of sheer gratitude, over the years in these hills, have made my existence humbler.

One of the helping colleagues comes to ask NT for money that they could see move in the VCD place with; of course charged with Solar Power and gets Rs. 100/-. I realize how easily money flows in Mizoram. NT tells me that tomorrow we will get a baby goat for Rs. 1,000/-,  today we were getting an adult female but he does not like taste of female goats! I am of course surprised at his priorities but neither am I jealous nor do I ponder over them. Suddenly we are told to leave before the morning meal next day to avoid further confusion and chaos. NT then becomes unlike his usual cheerful self. He conveys with his ‘please don’t mind’ prefix our leaving time for tomorrow as 6.00 am.
The other view
As I am about to sleep wondering, for some moments, how I lost my dao today a person from Lopu who joined us the other day comes in to share the blanket with Jo. He too, like many here, smokes before going to bed. 

Smoke goes out of the window and allows sleep to get in my sleeping bag!

Day Fourteen here

Comments