Tokalo: Day Twenty Two



Day Twenty Two brings the adventure to an end

We take the boats early morning. The boats glide slowly and gracefully along the river, its pools and the rocks.
What a lovely morning it was 
We glide for longer than I had envisaged. Enroute we also spot birds. This was fun given the boat’s movement as was sharing the field guide with colleagues in the other boat. Besides couple of not so common ones we also come across a fisherman who had captured a coucal and get it released. The interactions were funny. A published note based on the morning experience here
The bird before being released
We reach what appears to be a river port straight out of Charles Dickens’ works. Jarda was being brought and packed for export. I move around the town till the food gets done. As I walk I see how this is like other transit places that I am familiar to – albeit at a smaller scale and of course with different sounds and colours. This apparently is a river port to get into Burma and in a not so difficult fashion.
Trade
Also saw a Dampithu workshop or as colleagues referred to it – a factory. People here love Dampithu but I would stay away from describing its taste as well.
The Dampithu people were crazy about
We wait till late evening. By the time the vehicle finally arrives I am not too patient. It is dark when we finally pack ourselves and luggage in the vehicle. The road to Lawngtlai is much further than what I had envisaged and was told and we finally reach Saiha is the wee hours of the morning.

Comments