Books on Banaras


Towns and books 

I have been fortunate to have been based at multiple locations. Couple of these I have enjoyed reading about, couple I have cycled and walked around and a couple I have little idea of. 

When I moved to Banaras I was keen to read up. There is, of course, no dearth of written word(s) on the town. Banaras has over years inspired people (to write) and continues to. Perhaps it touches people and brings out their hiding selves from cocoons. Perhaps it is else. 

Getting books too is not difficult. Few books that I have put time with so far. 



Tawaifnama 


Keen to read more on Banaras I got this book. The idea was to enjoy yet another facet of Banaras - one which was absolutely fresh for me. The book stood nicely in the cupboard for a few months before I read it. 

As I turned pages I dived deep into music, caste, the town, the landscape, their history and how they all connect with each other. And, of course, how we have learnt little from history. I recalled being simultaneously wonderfully engrossed and all shaken up during the week I read it. I ended up writing to friends - I discuss books with - midway itself. I also called up friends familiar with parts of Banaras and Bihar that the book talks of. Keen to visit the places now. 

Glad I read it. Definitely a Classic. 





Banaras: City of Light


Where can I read more on the Kapil Dhara (a temple located in the northern part of the town)? Do history and mythology overlap in Banaras - how? How has Banaras changed in recent history? These and few other questions when I asked people who put in time with books – all led to one answer. Read Diana L Eck. One of the articles on the town mentioned this book as one which was ever in demand. How can there be an authoritative book on a town where most ghats and temples - I have been to - have multiple narratives I wondered? As I read more on the town I realized that I was not the only one awed by it. 

This is a book that talks of history, religion, faith, belief, mythology, geography and more. And how. It has peeled layers in a manner that is -  to put mildly - uncommon. It has THE book on Banaras for me – like I understand for many others. I also cycled to some parts of the town the book talks of. 

The book has touched me like few books have. 




Ambivalent Encounters: Childhood, Tourism, and Social Change in Banaras, India


The Harmony Bookstore (Assi, Banaras) has books on Banaras to the right as one climbs its few steps. I sat their flipping pages when Rakeshbhai suggested this book. He added that it was based on solid research and talked of a Banaras beyond temples and religion. Given my association with children not too different from those mentioned in the book I quickly picked it up. 

It is fascinating (and admirable) how the author focuses on a single ghat and by way of interviews brings out the spectrum of reactions these children get going in the hearts and minds of (western) tourists. She touches upon caste and gender biases like perhaps only an outsider can. And has takes effort to maintain neutrality. The book made me think, and rethink, on the reactions these children (and professions) brought in me. 

I wonder how much has changed since the research. What changes the mobile phones have brought for example!




Banaras: Walks through India’s sacred city


I was keen to walk beyond the lanes that - with friend - I had begun to frequent. I came across this book and contemplated buying when another friend who was along said ‘leave it’. After a few minutes she said she had the book and would ‘give it’! 

Few weeks later she dropped in with the book. 



Keen to add more to the list.


Reviews

Few books - on the town - I have reviewed - 







Comments

  1. Thanks for listing books on Varanasi and providing brief information about each of them.

    Here at Astrolika you can see list of temples and their detail.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment