Bir . . Beyond Paragliding . .

Bir . . Cafes, Monasteries and more . . 


A fun place to walk and cycle is how I would describe Bir in a line. I treasure my walks in and around Bir the most. Slow and aimless walks where both the mind and feet wander. The phone stays shut. The gentle slopes and friendly smiles too have a role to play.

 

The first time I read of Bir was a few years ago in The Outdoor Journal. I recall being stunned by an image that showcased humans and birds in the same frame – both up in the air. I understand Bir’s reputation as THE place for paragliding in the country, and beyond, has only strengthened since. It is an experience to lie languorously on one’s back and look at people glide towards what is referred to as the ‘landing site’. Billing is where the take-off spot is.

 

By Dave Kleinschmidt - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dklein/2281407256/, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15455538


Let me chat about the Bir beyond the flying and landing humans.

 

Not far from the landing site is the Choukling Monastery. Bir is also a Buddhist town. One early morning, sitting on a bench here, I watched people walk in its precincts. They appeared to know each other and their actions adhered to a pattern. There was a daily rigour to their movements; a rigour both gentle and pleasant. I watched a girl – aged about 5 – walk holding an old lady, probably her grandmother. The girl held the hand lovingly, like children do, and the grandmother kept patting her, like grandmothers do. As they walked together the grandmother passed on a practice, a ritual, a culture. This walking together of theirs was a churning crucial for both generations.

 

This culture conservation I discussed at the Tibetan Children Village school. Those present shared about the school’s efforts to conserve their language. One line which stays with me from the interactions on campus is – Buddhism is getting popular as it is about questioning and learning by way of debates. The campus has a special feel to it. As I walked around I came across occupants of the different hostels getting their meals ready. There was no central kitchen and each hostel decided their menu and cooked accordingly. Similarly, for cleaning.

 

The sheer scale of Sherabling monastery, few kilometers away from the town, is mind-boggling.  Each time I visit I am awed by the audacity of its dreamers and planners. During my first visit when I had asked if I could go in and whether I needed to remove shoes I was told – just go on and if you see a notice or few shoes near an entrance do the needful. This, absence of rules and interference, struck me. I walked across and sat silently at corner in a large hall where a teaching session was in progress. During the second visit I came across younger people in action. Some of them cleaned the campus, some played basketball, while some just appeared to be moving around. Most of them were in their ‘monk’ robes with jackets and foot-wear of matching colours. The monastery also boasts of a wonderful Café which serves fresh donuts and carrot cake. As I sat sipping coffee my ears caught the manager cum baker listening to Bhojpuri songs!

 

That was not the only Café at Bir to take me by surprise. As I sipped coffee and bit into the fresh-out-of-the-oven butter cake at the Mangala Café I suddenly heard loud and violent screams. I looked up at the person across the counter who appeared unaffected by the out-of-the-place sounds. The next time I looked at the direction the sounds came from she smiled and said – friends are playing PubG.

 

Talking about food one place I loved and revisited during both my trips is CloudDoor. Their masala chai in the chill and rains (each of my trips was during January) worked wonders for the moment. So did their pizza and sandwich for tired legs and empty stomach. As if this was not enough there stands a rack with a range of books. The ambience and conversations with the staff complemented the food.  

 

Winters are also about ice-creams. The Amul store in town is for some reason better stocked than its sister stores I have been to in larger towns and cities. Ice-creams perhaps taste better in the chill! The shop owner narrated his wonder at tourists, primarily western tourists, buying and eating bitter chocolates. One of them offered him a bit as well and after that customer left he rushed out to gargle. Kachha karela hi khila do is se to accha aap mere ko he added.

 

I visited other monasteries and food places as well but a bit about logistics now. Bir is about a younger crowd. Cycles are easily available for hire – I also spotted tourists on the tandem bicycles. More than a few hostels have come up as well. I stayed at a different Zostel property on each occasion. Bikes are fun too if one wants to go a little further – Andretta of the blue pottery fame is one of the options. Bir now has daily buses from Dilli while Pathankot is the nearest railhead. The best journey I had though was when I returned by the mountain train from Baijnath Paprola.  

 

Other pieces on Himachal Pradesh

 Naggar

Jibhi

Tirthan

Kullu


Comments