Hospital : Some conversations

Last fortnight (In a not very good state of mind)


Snippets of some conversations, 
Glimpses that underscored how at the end of the day we are all humans,
Very similar to each other, very different from each other, carrying our contradictions, 



At the reception (or the waiting area, around midnight)

Another person waiting: यह साले हॉस्पिटल वाले ऐसी खुरसी क्यूँ रखते हैं? मरीज़ के साथ आने वाला बंदा ना तो ठीक से बैठ पाए ना ही ठीक से सो पाए! वो साला खुद ही मरीज़ बन जाए!



At the lift (on way for an emergency C T scan)

Me to the fellow pushing the stretcher: क्या हुआ? चल क्यूँ नहीं रही?

His response: नीचे से कोई खुला छोड़ दिया है दरवाज़ा, बंद करने जाना पड़ेगा.



At the operation theatre (after the surgery)

Doctor (assisting the surgeon): Do you want to click a photo of the blood that was removed?

My response (with folded hands): I just want my mother back fine.



At the pharmacy counter

Aunty standing next to me: बेटा यह उपर नीचे करते करते तो मेरी हालत खराब हो गयी है, और दवाई लेने आना पड़ा तो मुझे ही दवाई की ज़रूरत होगी.

Me: Half nodding, half smiling, fully tense.

Aunty again: मेरा बेटा आया है पर उसको डर लगता है तो वो नीचे बैठता है. (She pointed to a young man with a gym toned physique)



At the nursing station

Sister to doctor (then on duty in that ward): नया शर्ट पहने हैं?

Sister (after the doctor's nodding): चेक्स पहना कीजिए, अच्छे लगते हैं.



At the private room


Doctor (surgeon) to me after asking mumi what she has eaten: Go and get her some sweets, she is not going to get better eating khichdi and daliya, and Banaras as you will know is a heaven for sweets!



On the phone

Aunty to me: Your mother is such a strong-willed person - how have you gotten so weak? 

My response: I don't know. I have no idea. 



At the ICU

Me to the person on the next bed (as he looked at mumi and I): चाचा कुछ ढूँढ रहें हैं?

His response: बाबा - जो देखना था वो देख लिया - मा बाप को प्यार करने वाली औलाद.


Comments