Gyaan : From Strangers


Over the years, I have learnt a lot from people, 
Including from random conversations with people I came across during my meanderings, 
People I am glad I bumped into, conversations I am glad took place, 
Some of these conversations have been eye-opening, made me stop and think, 
And, have stayed with me since, 
Share a few below - 

What is there to think so much, go ahead, and if you see shoes - chappal somewhere leave your's too nearby.

(A monk at a monastery in Bir, when I asked him if I could enter the monastery and where I need to keep my footwear - The message : keep it simple, don't complicate)

When the food gets over (जब खाना ख़त्म हो जाता है)!

(An old uncle running a small restuarant in Secunderabad, on my asking him, during Ramzaan, what time the restuarant closes for the day - He made me realize how silly and boxed I had become!)

I have been beginning my days with a warm glass of water and reading a page of Bhagwad Gita, my life has changed, try that - you too will benefit.

(An American at a paan-stall at Allahabad, somewhere near the High Court, without any context or background - Until that moment we had just been silently waiting for our paans to be ready)

कृपया यहाँ ज्ञान न बाटें, यहाँ सब ही ग्यानी हैं (Translation is not half as fun, but still, Please do not offer wisdom here, we are already wise).

(At a tea-stall at Banaras, somewhere near the Kashi Station)

If we want to meet I will need to come to your village, you cannot visit me, my wife's family is upper-caste and does not take favourably to your wife's caste.

(One European to another, at a cafe at Jibhi, both had married local Himachali women and were based in the vicinity - Without details it never works)

The meeting was useless, a few people were sitting on a pedestal and talking, it never works. Those below either laugh at the people taking or abuse them, or do both. 

(An old uncle after we had just completed a meeting on Biodiversity Management Committee, somewhere in Kachchh)

No, my daughter has submissions at school each Saturday, so Friday's I sit till late to finish her homework. 

(A milk-shop owner in Secunderabad; I had asked him if some religious practise was the reason behind his opening the shop late on Saturdays - he reminded me of what I was once told : 'when you assume you make as ass out of you and me')

You are 3,000 km away from your home and you know you have to work twice as hard as the locals to survive, and more to thrive, so you are working hard, back home changes are high that you would have taken in easy, gotten lazy. 

(A professor at Shillong, during my days in Baghmara - On the merit of moving out) 

Sit on the floor, if you sit on the chair it is useless!

(An old uncle, at Agraa one cold winter evening, when we were sitting around a bonfire - a metaphor if there was one!)

Places have negative energy as well, if you want to experience you can go to CP at Dilli, वहाँ काफी उद्यमी लोग घूमते हैं।

(A VC, somewhere in Banaras, on my friend asking him about places having positive energy) 

We are a hierarchial society, many of us are not eager for equality as we are neither keen to take onus, nor do we have the skills; SHGs too has failed here.

(An enterpreneur in Banaras - Took me back to long discussions with a friend during Mizoram days)



Comments